As a general rule, the person who serves as President of the United States is held in high esteem by its populace. While this does not mean all citizens agree with this individual’s actions or decisions, there is overall respect for the office.
However, when Donald J. Trump became the 45th President of the United States, all this changed.
As many of us watched this man ride down the escalator at Trump Tower on June 16, 2015, little did we know what was in store for us when he announced his candidacy. From his first campaign speech and rally to the present, we have witnessed a man who has regularly and consistently insulted, offended, mocked, dishonored, and slandered people who disagree with him.
And you, Trump Supporter, have encouraged and abetted these actions. You may deny this accusation but you have supported (and even cheered him on) as he …
- Mocked a crippled man
- Disrespected women
- Encouraged violence against non-supporters at rallies
- Demeaned African-Americans, Mexicans, Muslims, and other minority groups
- Referred to several nations as “shit-hole” countries
- Defended white nationalists
- Defamed a prisoner of war (after his death!)
- Supported a politician accused of sexual misconduct
- Slandered members of the media
- Labeled his opponents as “bad people” (or even criminals)
And he continues to this day to attack and humiliate any and all individuals who disagree with him.
So my question to you is this: When you support and/or defend Trump’s actions…
WHAT DOES THIS SAY ABOUT YOU?
Does it give you personal satisfaction to applaud and cheer and wave your MAGA sign for a man who is a serial liar, rampant xenophobe, racist, and misogynist?
Giving you the benefit of doubt, you may not even be aware that Trump has succeeded in gaining your support because he …
- Appealed to you emotionally through fear and humiliation
- Created an enemy that threatens you
- Emphasized the weakness and incompetence of others
And then he reinforced it all by making a promise to you (through generalities and few details) that he was going to Make America Great Again.
And you believed him.
But now it’s time to face the truth.
Nothing that Donald J. Trump has done thus far has generated a strong and unified nation that other countries admire and respect. Instead, he has created animosity, hostility, and even hatred among its people by emphasizing and playing on our anxieties, fears, and prejudices.
No matter which side of the political spectrum you are on, as citizens of the United States of America, we cannot continue on this destructive path. There is simply too much at stake.
So the question becomes — what are you willing to do to bring our nation together?