It seems appropriate at this time of year to write a post about “Santa.” You know who I’m talking about, right? That grandfatherly-looking fellow with a white beard who lives somewhere up around the North Pole? The one who possesses magical powers, helpful elves, and the remarkable ability to discern who’s naughty or nice? The jolly old fellow that children turn to in hopes of getting things they want?
Yes! That’s the one. You know who I mean.
Lately, I’ve been wondering. Has anyone ever noticed the similarities between Santa and that other popular fellow whose name begins with a “G”?
You have?? Must be just a coincidence since we all know Santa is a made-up character. Right?
Yet when you think about it, there are some interesting likenesses.
- No one has ever seen Santa (the real one, not the holiday impersonators)
- It’s acceptable to ask Santa for things we want.
- Santa has ways of knowing when we’ve been “naughty or nice.”
- Santa lives somewhere “up there.”
- Santa has promised he will visit everyone on a predestined day.
But hey, these are just chance resemblances. It couldn’t possibly be otherwise. Could it?